Kids Cats & Knitted Hats

This is my little spot to share the things I'm learning to do with my knitting looms.

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Some Excitement & a New Project

Okay, first for the excitement. Last Thursday night (actually Friday morning around 2:30 AM) my husband and I were awakened by a strange sound that turned out to be our TV/VCR combo trying to spit out a tape. We turned on the lights to find that they were very dim and fading in and out. Then we heard a loud POP, and when I went into the hallway to investigate, I smelled a strong electrical smell. I got the kids out of bed and took them downstairs while my husband called the fire department -- we were sure there was a fire in the attic. Every time we would try to turn on a light, something else would pop, and in the living room the cable box sparked and popped without being messed with.

Well, four firetrucks, two rescue squad trucks and one police car arrived at our house within a few minutes. They thoroughly checked out the house and determined that it was an electrical problem, but there was no fire -- thanks be to God!

Long story short, we had a problem with one of the electrical wire thingies coming into our house, and the power company had to come out and tear down a shed behind our house to dig up everything. It had caused a power surge that completely fried our TV cable and blew the cable boxes. The only things we lost were my younger son's TV, my older son's alarm clock, power surge protector (ironic, huh?) and the mother board and power supply on his computer.

Lots of excitement at our house that night! While we were sitting in our living room with firemen all over our house, it occurred to me how many things we take for granted, even when we truly think we're being thankful. I realized how quickly we could have lost everything we have. But I also realized that the only things in my life that really matter are the PEOPLE (and kitties) I love -- things can be replaced. I knew that already, but that night I REALLY KNEW it. In fact, I told my boys while we waited in the living room, "We have everything we need right here in this room. But if we have to evacuate, you guys get the cats and I'll grab my looms and yarn!" Okay, so some things are important! LOL

Anyway, on to knitting . . . .

I haven't gotten a lot of things made because I've been working on my Infinity Loom. Oh, how I LOVE it!! Here's the afghan I'm working on now:

The picture was taken when I had just started my third skein of Homespun; now I'm almost to the end of the third one. I love the way it's coming out. I let my hubby choose the colors for this one which explains the earthy tones. When I make one for me it'll be all girly!

I L*O*V*E my 20" AJAL! The first project I did was a checkerboard scarf for Gerard (hubby). I had made him one before on the purple KK, but he said it was too loopy -- he kept catching the loops on things and pulling the yarn. So I whipped one out on my small gauge AJAL -- much better!! See the difference:
The one on the left was made on the purple KK with Bernat's Softee Chunky, two strands held together. The one on the right was made on the AJAL with Red Heart using a single strand. All I have to do is add fringes and it's all done.


How can this little square make a 40-year old woman happy?
This is the first dishcloth I made on the AJAL -- it doesn't look like much, but I just love using it! Doesn't that sound silly? It really does seem to work better than regular old dishcloths. I went out and bought six or seven more skeins of 100% cotton yarn so I make a drawer full of these little babies.

Now I'm going to do some more fun projects -- maybe some of the bunny purses everyone is going crazy with. And as soon as Isela has a pattern available for her cable purse, I'll drop everything and make one of those!

Oh, so many projects, so little time! Just how important are clean floors anyway?

Thanks for reading! Loom on!

4 Comments:

  • At 10:05 PM, Blogger Sorka said…

    Glad to hear everyone is ok!! And not too much damage!

    Great projects! Keep it up!
    Denise
    http://www.knitchat.com

     
  • At 11:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The checkered board scarf is gorgeous!

     
  • At 9:19 AM, Blogger Lisa said…

    Thank you Denise and Isela!

     
  • At 7:46 PM, Blogger Casey said…

    How do you achieve the checkerboard affect? I am a beginner, trying to do a hat with orange and white, and am having a lot of trouble figuring it out! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home