Kids Cats & Knitted Hats

This is my little spot to share the things I'm learning to do with my knitting looms.

Monday, March 20, 2006

Busy Weekend - Regional Champs

What a busy weekend it was! My son's basketball team competed in the Central Virginia 12 & Under AAU Basketball Tournament. They won the championship and will advance to the state tournament at the end of April. This is our second year as Regional Champs. Last year we were #2 in the state and finished #15 at Nationals. My son is in the back row - #32. The coach kneeling in the front row is my hubby. Aren't they cuties?

While waiting at the gym between games and in the hotel in the evenings, I worked on a few knitting projects. We must have done a lot of waiting, because I accomplished more than I thought I would.

I made another Bangle Purse from the Learning to Knit on Circle Looms book. This one came out great. This is a really quick project, and it turns out so sweet!

Next I tried Patti's Eyeglass Case Pattern. Very easy to do (just remember to use the flat stitch throughout -- I ended up frogging because I started with the ewrap). I'll have to make a black and gray one now to match my car!

I purchased a Honeycomb Beanie pattern from KnitChat.com and made it this weekend. I just love it! I showed it to my younger son and he said it looked like guacamole, so disregard the color if you don't like green (or at least that shade of green). I promise it looked prettier in the store! Anyway, I really like this pattern because it includes instructions for decreasing so the top isn't so bulky.

Next came a purple Mock Crochet hat. I had made one before, but this time instead of a ribbed brim, I used the garter stitch (knit one row, purl one row - I did this for 5 or 6 rows). I love the Mock Crochet stitch in a hat -- it comes out so lightweight. I made this one a tad too long, but the brim can be rolled up to make it the right length.

When using the mock crochet stitch for a round item like a hat, skip the part of the instructions where it tells you to wrap 3, 2 and then 1 at the end of the row. For a round item, you just keep wrapping the three pegs until the desired length is reached. At the end of the very last row, you do the 3, 2, 1 thing.

This might be my favorite project of the weekend. Sara posted a pattern for a Cupcake Hat on her blog, and I just had to try it. Oh my goodness, how cute it is!! What I love most about it is that it looks really hard, but it's EASY, so it's sure to impress!! Unfortunately I don't have any little girls in my house, and for some reason my boys just refuse to try it on ;), so I guess I'll have to take it to church and let one of the little munchkins there wear it.


Oh, when I returned home from the tournament, I was thrilled to find that my looms from Decor Accents had arrived!! Oooh, I'm having so much fun playing with them! I love, love, LOVE my 20" A-Just-A-Loom and am thinking I might need the 12" too (to take with me when we travel). I'll post some photos soon.

Happy looming!

5 Comments:

  • At 2:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Look at all your pretty projects. I loved them all and the little cupcake hat is the cutest!

     
  • At 4:50 PM, Blogger Sorka said…

    wow..there is hope.. look at all the stuff you can get done in a weekend when your kids are a little older eh!!??
    heheh

    WOW!! They all look great!

     
  • At 5:16 PM, Blogger Lisa said…

    Oh, that's so true! I never would have been able to finish so many projects when my kids were younger. Now that they're older, I retreat to my quiet corner and knit while they "rock out" on their guitars and play their video games!

     
  • At 9:06 PM, Blogger sarainitaly said…

    Wow, you were knitting like crazy! Love the hats! so so cute! Cool idea with the purl on the mock hat. Cupcake hats are fun, huh? :OD

     
  • At 11:00 PM, Blogger Lisa said…

    Yep, I was knitting away while during breaks between games and in the evenings when my hotel room was being invaded by stinky 12-year-old boys! LOL

     

Post a Comment

<< Home